Janet's Creations

Janet's Creations
Gemma's "I Spy" hexagon quilt

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Orphan LeMoyne Star Practice Quilt

At the Road to California Quilt Show in January, I picked up Deb Turner's Rapid Fire LeMoyne Star gadget (not sure if it is a gadget or a tool.)  Now that gadget sat on my shelf until September,  I had previously purchased a jelly roll and fat quarter selection of Moda's Warm Marbles for a manly quilt but changed my mind and did a double Irish Chain.  Now DH (dear husband) has a little buddy Namaar who is studying to be a minister right now.  He graduated from Kentucky State year before last and I wanted to make him a quilt.  I wasn't sure what kind I wanted to do though, but I knew these colors would be great for a young man. So I set about and made about 37 LeMoyne Stars in a 9.5 inch block.  They weren't too hard and I added another jelly roll in maroon to the mix, I had some dark beige with with designs for the background.  However, now what do I do with all these blocks! So off to google I went once again to look up images for LeMoyne Star quilts.  I found a quilt on a blog (I left a message but have not yet heard back from her) and it mentioned that she made her quilt from a pattern in Marsha McCloskey's Quick Classic Quilts. Off to Amazon now to find a copy of the book, which I did for under $5.00 ( it smelt a bit like old smoke though)  But I am not going to show your Namaar's quilt yet as I haven't quilted it yet. Instead I made a lap quilt with the left over blocks, and I invested in some pounce and kicked up my FMQ a notch!  I used the pounce blue and it did wash out of the beige and I also echo quilted around the Celtic crosses and outlined the stars and outlined on the inside too.  I am pretty pleased with my first attempt at stencil quilting though there is lots of room for improvement.
For the stencil I used navy blue thread and the outline and echo quilting I used clear polyester thread.







1 comment:

  1. I am impressed with your FMQ skills. Again, you are forever unscathed with the challenges.

    ReplyDelete